Paw Prints

• April 2Preview Day is Monday 8/13 7:35-10:10

• March 26First Day of School Wednesday 8/15

P.E. Opinions

Jenna Craig, SMS

Is Physical Education useless or does it really help you? P.E. has its negatives and positives. The things people do in P.E. may be hard or it may seem unimportant. Gym class should have something anyone can enjoy. Everyone has their own opinion on what Phys. Ed. is to them.

Students do many activities in P.E. Kids in physical education have to do many exams to test their physical ability. Some of the tests are liked more than others because maybe the test is easier or the kid doesn’t have to work as hard to get a good grade. The kids also learn many skills that could help them learn how to play some types of sports, some of the skills the students learn are catching and throwing. After the students have learned the skills the students play a sport or game to show they know the skill. There are many sports that the kids play, and some favorites are soccer and dodgeball. Jayden Coss says, “ I really like playing soccer in gym, I plan on playing it in the future,” Sixth grader Michael Goswell really likes how Physical Education is taught, “ Dodgeball is my favorite game in P.E. because it is really competitive.”

Physical Testing in Phys. Ed. can be very hard or very easy it just depends on how athletic the kid is. The way people get graded in P.E. may seem unfair to a person who is not as athletic as another person. Goswell doesn’t think it matters about how athletic you are, he says, “ If you’re good, you’re good and if you’re bad, you’re bad,” The tests the students have to do is the pacer which is when the kids have to jog across the gym for so many laps, the mile, the flexed arm hang, where the kids hang from a bar to test their upper body strength, the sit and reach, that is how the kids test their flexibility, and the curl-ups, which are sit-ups. Emily Baker-Wise says “My favorite test is the pacer because it is the easiest and it gets me the highest score,” Some of the goals the state put in for the student to meet seem out of the ordinary because those goals seem unreasonable to many people, Baker-Wise says “ I think the grading system is stupid, I think it makes people self-conscious about themselves.” P.E. grades are important, but the goals should be able to be obtained by all students.

Kids in Physical Education are told that doing this type of class will help them in the future. Learning how to do team sports will help kids decide if they want to do a sport in high school. Vance Durham says, “I never learned I was good at sport in P.E., but then again I don’t really like P.E.” But the testing the students do in P.E. is different, will getting a five-minute mile really help you get a job, will hanging from a bar get a kid into an Ivy League college, maybe, maybe not. Goswell says that “P.E. testing will help me remember not to give up even though it is hard,” In Phys. Ed. remembering not to give up is an important thing because the activity the kid may be doing might not be what they are best at or it is something that they don’t want to do.