Paw Prints

• April 2Preview Day is Monday 8/13 7:35-10:10

• March 26First Day of School Wednesday 8/15

Managers of SMS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Managers of SMS

Megan Burdge, SMS

The South Middle School Wolves have two sports teams this fall. What makes the practices and the teams run so smoothly? The people behind these successes are the managers. What’s their job? How do they help?

Our school has an 8th-grade boys basketball team. The coaches are, Coach James and Coach Johnson, the boys’ basketball managers are Savannah Smith and Aubree Patterson. They help out by filming the games, working the clock, taking stats, and filling water bottles. At practice, they shag balls and take down the goals. At games, Savannah Smith usually has the job of filming, while Aubree Patterson takes stats on the players. These jobs help the team flow more fluidly and also help the players become better. Tanner Cassidy, a player on the A team for  boys’ basketball, said, “They help out a lot during practices.”  Tanner explained how the managers also help out the players individually by, playing with them which helps them with their skills and positioning technique, so they do more than just help out the coach. From both of the manager’s side and the player side, they both seem to enjoy each other and grow more as a team together.

The SMS Wolves also have a wrestling team, coached by Coach Pritchett and Coach Sheldon. There are three managers: Chloe Hennessey, Lilly Horing, and Grace LaBelle. Their jobs are to mop the mats at practice, fill water bottles, take stats, help coaches, and at tournaments, they keep the day in order. One of the wrestlers on the SMS wrestling team is Hurshel Loveland, a 7th grader.  He says that the managers are helpful both at tournaments and practices. From a wrestler’s standpoint, the managers keep sore, write down the wrestler’s match, and at practice, they get ice. Loveland said ‘’ Yeah we get along pretty well’’.  Hennessey, Horing, and LaBelle, all share the hard-working job of managers.

Let’s move onto the coaches. What do the coaches think? Are they really that helpful? Coach Pritchett said, “For sure. They do a lot of detail work. When there is a disagreement about the score with another team, we look to the managers to see what they have, so we can win.” Coach James said, “They really do a nice job.”

Clearly, the managers are pretty important. They not only help the coaches and do the all behind the scene work, but they also hold the team together. The managers of SMS are working hard and doing a great job. They hold the team together and make it an amazing season.