Paw Prints

• April 2Preview Day is Monday 8/13 7:35-10:10

• March 26First Day of School Wednesday 8/15

Potential of Baseball 2018

The 2017 MLB season went out with an exciting seven games. Hopefully, some of the fire will carry over into the upcoming 2018 season.

Some teams don’t really get to feel the experience of winning very often. Every year they get a chance to change their team and try to make them better. Some of those teams last year were the Giants, the Phillies, the Tigers, and the Reds. The teams might be totally different in 2018. Jacob Goss said, “I say that the Cardinals are not going to have a winning year in 2018.” Also, if a team had a really bad year, they probably didn’t get much money from it and won’t have many more options than they did in the previous season. It would be hard for a team to come back from a season slump. In those bad teams, there are players that make the teams bad. Goss said, “I think this year Nori Aoki will be one of the worst players.”

People often hear the term “glory days,” which means their prime or when they were at their best. There is always going to be a time when people are past your glory days, and when you’re past that, you need to think about retirement. Some recent retirements that were big deal were Derek Jeter in 2014, Alex Rodriguez in 2016, and David Ortiz in 2016. Goss said, “I think Alex Gordon is past his prime.” He still has a contract that goes on until 2020, so he can’t retire yet. Goss said, “I think Adrian Gonzalez might think about retiring next year.” He is a good player still, but he is going downhill. Some players just need to accept that they might not be able to be as good as they used to be and that they might be past their prime. Goss said, “Jason Vargas is past his glory days and he should retire.”

The real stars of the show are the best players. They are the ones that get on the commercials, and some athletes get in movies. Thomas Fager said, “My favorite player is Joc Pederson because he is terrific in the outfield.” There are many different reasons why a player would be somebody’s favorite. A lot of them could be sentimental, but most of the time it’s about players that earned it with talent. Everybody knows that hitting is a big part of baseball. That’s the only way players can put some numbers on the board. Fager said, “I think Giancarlo Stanton is the best hitter.” In the American League, they have designated hitters, and they are literally professional hitters. Feilding is just as important as hitting, if not more important. Just think about it, if teams don’t allow any runs, it’s impossible to lose. Fager said, “I think Jose Altuve is the best fielder.” There are those few people that are good at everything. Fager said, “I believe that Jose Altuve is also the best player all around.”

At the end of the season, the finale comes. The World Series is a series of games between the two teams that have made it all the way through the postseason and are looking to take home a trophy. They are the best two teams in baseball for that season. Last season, it was a close battle between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros. The Astros won the World Series in seven hard-fought games. Fager said, “I think the Astros are going to win the World Series this year too.” Another team to look for is the New York Yankees because they have the two players with the 1st and 2nd amount of home runs last year. Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge are both on the Yankees. We will see who brings home the trophy this year.

Clearly, the 2018 season should be a good one. I can’t wait to see how it turns out!