Paw Prints

• April 2School will be in session on 4/2 to make up a snow day.

• March 26No School Spring Break 3/26-3/30

Student and Teacher’s Opinions on Chromebooks

Paige Bruflat, SMS

At Ray-Pec South Middle School, 6th and 7th graders have their own personal Chromebooks, but what do people really think about them? Are they helpful in the classroom, or are they just a distraction?

Students all over the U.S. use devices in their classrooms and technology is advancing throughout the country, with new devices and features. Schools are becoming more tech-savvy with this new advancement. Schools are trying out Chromebooks to see the impact they will make, and many have seen great changes, along with some bad.

While some people may not like Chromebooks, they prove to be very essential to other students. Jared Martinez said, “The school wouldn’t be a school without Chromebooks.” Chromebooks have played a major role in students’ lives, so kids can’t imagine what it would be like without them. Students’ can use Google Docs which instantly save what they have written for classes, whereas on paper, kids can be lazy or disorganized and lose important papers. Chromebooks have allowed students to study in different ways, helping them get ready for tests. Teachers use Quiz.izz, Google Classroom, Kahoot, and many more study websites to help their students better understand the information. Some students like that they can take their Chromebooks home, so they can study and do their homework on a device that they are comfortable using.

Katrina Tilawen said, “You can take it home, and you can play games on it once you’ve finished your work.” Games can be a privilege for kids when they have finished all their work. But what if the students are on games when they should be learning? The students could quickly click on another tab, or close it when the teacher walks by to hide the fact they are playing games. “Students who can’t always be trusted with boundaries in general, are going to struggle with computers also,” Mrs.Williams said. While some students can be trusted with Chromebooks, others cannot. For students who have trouble focusing or doing their work in class, the Chromebooks might be a chance for them to play games and not get their work done. Some teachers might not use Chromebooks as much because of this issue.

Chromebook charging has been a problem throughout the school as well. Students take their Chromebooks home and are supposed to charge them, so they are ready for the next school day, but many forget and don’t charge them. This means students won’t have their Chromebooks ready when they need to use them in class. Students who forget to charge their Chromebooks have to move to an outlet in class to charge them. Some teachers won’t care and will let the students move to charge it, but some may get irritated by the students not charging their Chromebooks at home.

Using Chromebooks in school is a highly debated topic, and will continue to be debated in the future. Overall, Chromebooks have changed the way many schools work throughout the nation.