Paw Prints

• December 77th and 8th Band Concert @ High School Auditorium 7:30 pm on the 7th of December

• December 77th and 8th Choir Concert @ High School Auditorium 6 pm on the 7th of December

Behind the Artist

A Closer Look at the Artists of SMS

Every year, lots of projects are hung up in the halls for everyone to enjoy. Art class is truly where masterpieces are made, and it’s amazing to witness them being created. Ms. Jacob’s class is on their fourth project this semester. It’s a painting project about color. For this project, Janet Lakey’s Dia de Los Muertos skeleton stood out among the others.

Her inspiration for the skeleton was Dia de Los Muertos, or better known in America as Day of the Dead. The concept for the piece took a couple days, and it has changed a bit from the original idea. “The Book of Life started it,” says Janet. “I just think it’s an interesting idea.” So far, her piece isn’t very much, but it’s already beautiful to look at.

Janet’s painting has a black background, with the head of the skeleton, Catrina, in the middle. The skeleton has round black eyes and an upside down heart for a nose. Her neck has a small ring of yellow and orange flowers. Her face is decorated with lots of different colored paints including red, purple, and orange. The black background is decorated with the words, “Day of the Dead,” in white. Janet already loves her painting, but she has felt some anxiety in the process of making it absolutely perfect.

It will be great to see it hanging in the hallway because it will get lots of attention. Janet has been working hard every class to get it done. She says she is happy that her painting got put in the paper and has some great advice for other artists; “If you believe you are a good artist, just believe in yourself and don’t give up and just keep practicing.”