Paw Prints

• April 2Preview Day is Monday 8/13 7:35-10:10

• March 26First Day of School Wednesday 8/15

A Day In The Life Of South Middle School Students

Cabriah Voliva, SMS

Students go to school five days a week, that’s around thirty-nine weeks a year! If we go to school that much, surely there are ways to deal with it. That is how students work, we find the best way to finish the hardest assignments imaginable. If you have been, or if you are a student, you know the struggle, but you also know how to deal with the stress.

For students, homework is just another way for school to be extended into your home life even more. When I talked to a seventh-grade student, Paige Bruflat, and asked her how she prioritized homework, she said, “Well, when I get home from school, I check to see if I have any homework and finish it if I do.” Another student, Lauren Carlisle, said, “I usually only have homework from one class, so when I get home, I do it so that I don’t forget.

There are lots of new classes available that weren’t available last year. Those classes include Academic Skills, for the seventh and eighth grade, Digital Literacy, for sixth grade, Lifetime Sports and Fitness for sixth and seventh graders, and Weight/Strength Training for eighth graders. Also Experiencing Music for everyone, Exploring Shakespeare for eighth graders, Cultures and Languages Around the World for sixth graders,  Journalism 1 for seventh graders, Journalism 2 for eighth graders and Introduction to STEM for sixth graders. The PLTW classes are PLTW App Creators for seventh graders, PLTW Computer Science for Innovators and Makers for eighth graders, PLTW Medical Detectives for eighth graders and PLTW Energy and the Environment for seventh graders.

Paige Bruflat said, “I am taking Journalism 1, Spanish and PLTW modeling and designing. I like them, they are better than last year,” 

What else do students deal with? Teachers, every time we think of school, we think of teachers and learning. Some teachers are fun and lighthearted, and they know how to teach you effectively, while others give you online work that never loads while in class, but they still expect you to get it done and get a good grade. Lauren Carlisle said, “I like Mrs. Baker. She is a good teacher who gives good explanations, she is straightforward but goes back if you need it and is kind about it when you need extra help.” She also said, “I don’t like one of my teachers who is strict. When you need help she will answer the question but does not help you get there.”

Coming to middle school gives you a lot more freedom over what you do versus in elementary school, but with it comes more responsibility. For example, we have Chromebooks we are allowed to take home, but we are trusted with them and are put with the responsibility of keeping them safe. Another freedom is in the cafeteria, you have a lot more freedom to sit where you want and also have the ability to warm your food up in the microwave. With the new found freedoms comes the responsibility of sitting in the area where you should be, and covering your food so that it does not cause a problem with needing to clean the microwave. “I like being treated like I’m not five. Now we have the freedom within our color tables to sit. Also, we have microwaves that are available to use.”

In this picture, sixth-grade students are eating their lunch, some home brought, some school lunches. But the same is true for each one, they chose to sit where they are sitting and may have warmed their food up.

These things students go through everyday cause new ideas and give them more life skills. One thing is for sure, the life of learning may be complicated, but in the end, it’s so rewarding.