Paw Prints

• April 2Preview Day is Monday 8/13 7:35-10:10

• March 26First Day of School Wednesday 8/15

How We Got Into The Crazy Rodeo world

Alexa Freemyer, SMS

Delanee and I have known each other since we were in preschool. Somehow we got separated, and we didn’t talk for a while. A few years passed and we started talking through texts and getting to know “the old us” again. About a few weeks later we planned to get together and hang out.  I found out quickly that she loved horses, I was not expecting her to like horses as much as I do. We went to the horse barn and that’s when we made a decision that got us into the crazy rodeo world, that started 3 summers ago. We walked to the pasture where my partners were waiting to meet Delanee. She asked what I meant by, my partners.

I said it’s a long story but, If I trust these guys you should too, We learned how to trust one another, and get along together. She nods,  we laugh and continue walking. When we finally made our way to the metal gate, I unlatched the chain that was holding the gate closed. We walked into the pasture. My horse Butterscotch walked up to me. The dominant horse, Buck, leading the other seven horses behind him, I laugh and say, These are my partners in rodeo. I call out Ginger’s name, and as Ginger trots up to Delanee, Her whole face lit up with excitement.

I threw the heavy barrel racing saddle up on Butterscotch, then I  start tightening the straps that are in places Delanee didn’t know were even there. She had a look of confusion on her face I could tell she had no idea what my hands were doing with the straps all over the saddle. Finishing the last strap, I Brushed  myself off saying, “your turn.”

Delanee walked to her saddle, picked it up off the rack then She set it back down and said, “This is a lot heavier than it looks, okay?”

We stood there laughing for a minute, then I pick up the saddle and throw it up on Ginger then repeated the process of tightening the straps all over her saddle. I asked Delanee, if she was ready to start warm-ups. She replied, “Well no dip!”

Delanee watched me swing my leg over on my horse, and she did the same. I started adjusting her stirrups, making sure they weren’t to low or to high. We walked into the arena and started warming up our horses, from a walk to a lope.

Now that the horses are warmed up we can start warming up stunts, I’ll show you a simple two leg stunt I set in the correct way, hands on the saddle horn, knees locked almost by my hands. I swung my legs up once and pop up into a simple two leg stunt on top of the horse’s back.

I jumped off my horse and jump on to her horse, Ginger.  I sat behind Delanee’s saddle and showed her the placement of her hands and knees. I taught her the motion of her legs for when she will swing. She gets in position, and so do I, ready to catch her. She popped up into a simple two leg prep like it wasn’t her first time. Then I realized we had the same talent.

A month later, we performed our first rodeo together. We perform something called,  “All round showdown show.” All round showdown shows are stunts, dances, races and stories that make you laugh. Don’t forget the back tucks, (flip performed by Alexa). This is the most likely to be the most stressful events. Why?  choreographing and getting your parts or stunts perfected. You have to have insane balance for, horse stunting, flipping from horse to the other and landing on one foot, with the other foot being held in your hand and a big smile on your face! Delanee says, “you have to have trust for your horse to run in a straight line, and pull stunts.”