Paw Prints

• April 2Preview Day is Monday 8/13 7:35-10:10

• March 26First Day of School Wednesday 8/15

A Look Into Theatre

Dakota Essenpries, SMS

What Theatre Is Like?

Theatre is a class different than other. For example, in theatre people pay to watch what you do in class. It is a class that anyone can take in Middle School and High School. In Middle School, it only lasts one semester. If you make it into the play, there is after school practice. In theatre, you practice for the play during the class, after school, and on their own outside of school.

Do you ever wonder what they do during theatre? “We practice our scenes, and when it’s not our scene, we sit and hang out, but we still have to pay attention because you don’t want to miss your entrance!” explained Mia Abnos.

There is after-school practice for the play, but what do you think they do during after school practice? To Mia Abnos, after school practice was fun but stressful. They practice their scenes, just like at school, but with everyone in the play, there, at the same time.

Even out of school the people in theatre have to do work. Such as memorizing the script when you’re out of school. Mia’s technique was to go over a page without looking at the paper. If she messed up, she would reread the script three times. She would then try it again without looking and so on.

Mia played Gay Willington in the school’s fall play, called “You Can’t Take It With You”  and she said, “I was most excited for the scene when I wake up because I didn’t know how people were going to react.” In this scene, the Kirby’s are at the house and we needed to make a good impression. She fell asleep because she’s narcoleptic. Also, she was most nervous for when she had to move her pearls without people knowing. The pearls would choke her when she was laying down so she had to move the pearls without people knowing. The hard part was that the pearls are loud when you move them.

Mia’s favorite part of the role she got was that it was funny. “My favorite part in theatre, was probably when we finished the show and celebrated in the choir room. Especially the last time (Sunday’s performance) because someone threw a chair since they were so happy,” explained Mia.Overall, the play went well and theatre seems like a fun thing to do, as long as you’re okay with working out of school.