Paw Prints

• April 2Preview Day is Monday 8/13 7:35-10:10

• March 26First Day of School Wednesday 8/15

March Madness

Lance Hays

March Madness

To some people, basketball isn’t just a game. It’s a lifestyle. Some kids depend on this game to make it through life. Great things in life aren’t just handed to you, and in basketball, you have to put in hard work and dedication. Doing great things like this will lead you to be doing as good as making it to the championship in March Madness.

NCAA stands for National Collegiate Athletic Association. March Madness is a NCAA tournament that happens every March and has 64 teams that are chosen by how good they have done in the regular season. It is a one lose tournament so when you lose you are out of the tournament. It’s goes from first round to the second round, to the sweet sixteen, to the elite eight, to the final four,  and then the winner is decided in the championship. March Madness is one of the biggest sporting events in the United States.

March Madness is full of blowouts and upsets. Most of the blowouts come in the early rounds when the best teams play the worse. Every once in awhile though the best teams will get beat and screw up everyone’s brackets. Brackets are another part of March Madness to see who can guess the winner of the tournament. If you guess everything right, you can earn one million dollars. “Of course I made a bracket who didn’t,” Nathan Bennett said.

In March Madness many people are hometown fans. Here in Kansas and Missouri, there are a lot of Kansas fans because they made the tournament, but Missouri didn’t. Kansas is a very good team as they are a one seed in the tournament which is the best ranking. As Gunnar Griffin said, “Kansas is the best team in the tournament and is going to win it all.”

March Madness gets very intense. Especially during the final four cause after that it the last two team battling out for the championship title. This year it was North Carolina, Gonzaga, Kentucky, and South Carolina in the final four. North Carolina beat Gonzaga in the championship game 71-65. This would be their sixth championship win.