Paw Prints

• December 77th and 8th Band Concert @ High School Auditorium 7:30 pm on the 7th of December

• December 77th and 8th Choir Concert @ High School Auditorium 6 pm on the 7th of December

MLS Soccer

Lance Hays

Soccer is not just a sport. To some people, it’s what they live on. They’re die-hard soccer fans that watch and show up to their favorite team’s game. The MLS has a lot of those fans.

MLS stand for Major League Soccer. The MLS is split up into two different conferences, the Eastern and Western. There are twenty teams in the MLS. Last year leading the Eastern Conference with a clinched first seed in the playoffs was the New York Red Bulls. Leading the Western Conference with the one seed clinched was FC Dallas. The New season will start on March 3rd.

Around Kansas City and Missouri, there are a lot of Sporting KC fans. Sporting Kansas City is part of the Western Conference in the MLS. They play in Kansas City at Children’s Mercy Park. Their manager is Peter Vermes. They’ve won two MLS Cup titles in 2000 and 2013. The team is lead by three players that play on the U.S. National team, Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, and Benny Feilhaber.

In Missouri and Kansas, Sporting Kansas City is their favorite team in the MLS. “My favorite team in the MLS is Sporting KC because it’s my hometown team,” Nate Kiger said. Lucian Howlett says, “The reason I like Sporting KC is because of their colors.” Also, RPEMS students have a similar interest in their favorite players in the MLS. Graham Zusi is a common favorite as many people say that, like Matthew Quest, Nathan Bennett, Corban Houdyschell.