Paw Prints

• April 2Preview Day is Monday 8/13 7:35-10:10

• March 26First Day of School Wednesday 8/15

The Future of Ray-Pec Cheer and Dance

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Future of Ray-Pec Cheer and Dance

Cassi Sabatini

There are lots of girls at RPEMS that cheer and dance; the majority of them want to cheer or become a Prowler in the future. Many of them want to dance because it’s a hobby or they think it’s cool, or just want to be a part of the school. Olivia Cole stated, “Because I think it’d be a fun opportunity.”

Lots of dancers join the prowlers as a chance to help pursue a dancing career if that’s what they want to do for a career. Madi Hocker said, “To help pursue my dance career dreams.” “Yes, I want to join, and because it’s a hobby,” stated Ashtyn Cook, one of the many people that want to try out for Prowlers in the future. 

There are many cheerleaders that go to RPEMS. There are going to be a lot of them trying out for the school’s team next year, whether it be for the High School, East MS or South MS. Eighth-grader Hailee Teeter has been cheering for three years and is one of the many that wants to be a cheerleader in high school. There are big futures for the girls that stay committed to cheer and continue with it.

There are girls that have said they want to be a professional cheerleader or dancer. “I don’t know yet, I haven’t decided yet,” said Caroline Kelly. The ones who have decided are very dedicated. “I’ve been dancing for 11 years,” said Hocker, one of the girls that want to be a professional dancer. Madi has devoted herself to dancing for nearly her whole life and plans to do it as a career.

One thing that interferes with dancers and cheerleaders is fear. Abby Glenn, a flyer, and tumbler in cheer said, “A fear of being dropped, and for tumbling having to make sure you land right and don’t break yourself.” Most dancers and cheerleaders would agree that fear can really affect how they perform. “Flexibility can get in the way because if you aren’t flexible, you won’t be able to do certain things,” said Kelly, a competitive dancer. Overall, there will be quite a few cheerleaders and dancers to try out for the team in the next couple of years.